Thursday, September 30, 2004

Costume blog.



Lots of places to be at particular times in the days ahead, so NO BLOGGING until next Wednesday at the earliest, unless I feel inspired to write over the weekend, when I will be home. But I wouldn’t bet the mortgage money on it.



Got an entertaining circular at my office today from Fantasy Costumes Hdq., “One city block long!” (on North Milwaukee Ave. in the city) “Over one million items in stock!” “The inside story on costumes, parties, and fun!”



Getting ready for the big season in the costume world, they are. The circular folds out into a big cartoon map, listing (among other sections of the store): Mascot & Parade Costumes, Wigs (over 30,000… in stock), Theatrical Props, Children’s Costumes, Mardi Gras & More, Hats, Novelties and Magic & Gags. Also, “Bachelor & Bachlorette Items,” which I take to be the sex toy department.



A note on the margin says: “What you need for more fun at… Medieval/Renaissance, St. Patrick’s Day, New Year’s Eve, Columbus Day [huh?], Fourth of July, Roarin’ 20s, Octoberfest [sic], Mardi Gras, Halloween, Christmas, Carnivals, Easter, Luaus, Purim.”



It took me about a minute to figure out that luaus was the plural of the Hawaiian-style party, and not some holiday I’d never heard of. Also, I wondered what kind of costumes go with Columbus Day –- Nina, Pinta and Santa Marias you can wear?



I thought, riding home on the train, that they missed mentioning some other festive occasions in that list –- say –- bacchanalias, orgies, séances, black Sabbaths, Day of the Dead, Gay 90s (“The Sidewalks of New York”), Gay 70s (“YMCA”), MLK Day, Presidents Day (Nixon masks, etc.), show trials, Civil War re-enactments and hootenannies.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home