Monday, August 16, 2004

Mojo blogging.



NO BLOGGING for a few days. Expect to read about it for a few days after that.



The last time I heard “Elvis is Everywhere” by Mojo Nixon was seven years ago today. I remember this so precisely because it was 20 years to the day after Elvis’ death, August 16, 1997. Yuriko and I were driving to Evanston to visit an acquaintance of mine, and that soon-to-be first grader we now call Lilly was about three months ahead of her trip down the birth canal. The song came on the radio, and it was the first time I’d heard it in years (it’s an ’80s confection).



And what fun. Makes me grin even now. Some advice to the youth among my readership (if any): find some way to steal it and store it in your iPods. It’s a gas.



The song isn’t available to me right now, but thanks to Mr. Google, the lyrics are, which is all I really need at the moment. There’s much, much more to it, but here’s a representative sample:

Yeah man, you know people from outer space,
people from outer space they come up to me.
They don't look like like Doctor Spock.
They don't look like Klingons,
all that Star Trek jive.
They look like Elvis.
ELVIS!
Everybody in outer space looks like Elvis.
Cause Elvis is a perfect being.
We are all moving in perfect peace and harmony towards Elvisness
Soon all will become Elvis.
Everything everywhere will be Elvis.
Why do you think they call it evolution anyway?
It's really Elvislution!
Elvislution!
Elvis is everywhere
Elvis is everything
Elvis is everybody
Elvis is still the king

P.S. It’s been exactly a year now since that other legend, Idi “VD” Amin “Dada,” “Conqueror of the British Empire,” passed away among his friends the Saudis.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home