Thursday, July 31, 2003

Mr. Brain's blog.



In the Daily Bleat (www.lileks.com) today, Lileks linked to Mr. Brain's Pork Faggots Web site (www.mrbrainsfaggots.com), at which you find information on pork faggots, which are essentially meatballs in sauce -- and called that only in Britain. Well, I don't know that for a fact: there could be faggots in Australia and New Zealand; meatball faggots, that is.



I ought to e-mail my Australian friends -- hey, blokes, do you eat faggots in Oz?



Haw, haw. Haven't had this much fun with that word since junior high. No, wait, I didn't have fun with that word in junior high -- it was an all-purpose term of abuse that didn't seem to have much to do with sexuality, and I was on the receiving end of it all too often. This tended to fade as I passed into high school, though I do remember one occasion early in the 9th grade in which a girl in one of my classes, whom I sat next to, got it in her head somehow that I was going to touch her. I wasn't, but it didn't stop her from bleating out: "Keep your faggot hands off me!" Go figure.



Mr. Brain's Web site says:
"Mr Brain's is all about traditional, no fuss food.
We pride ourselves on using the finest pork and pork liver for our faggots, topped with a generous serving of delicious West Country sauce. It's no wonder 100 million faggots are eaten in the UK every year!"



I was amused by this, but it wasn't new to me. Which points to one of the reasons I like to get out & go places. Yuriko and I spent most of December 1994 staying at a flat in Ealing, a district in the western part of greater London. We had a kitchen, and often shopped at a nearby grocery store. Overseas grocery stores offer no end of interesting things to see (so do domestic ones, if I'm in the right frame of mind). In the Ealing store I discovered pork faggots in the frozen food section -- though I don't remember if they were Mr. Brain's brand. We bought some and ate them. Not bad for British cuisine.



It's a fine thing to see the great sites -- in the case of London, Parliament, St. Paul's, Buckingham Palace, etc. But traveling is also about embracing the details.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home