Tuesday, March 04, 2003

Every morning, every evening, ain’t we got blog.



The weather augurs didn’t foresee today’s snowstorm until it was practically upon us. But they were all in a tizzy once they did — four to eight inches! Maybe a foot! The biggest snow of the year!



Everyone was up this morning before I left for work, and Lilly had tuned into Channel 11. No, not that. Anything but that… pledge week on PBS, including begging during Kids PBS, the cartoon time. I would be more sympathetic to the station's financial needs if there were no commercials on PBS, especially one by a certain maker of “educational” toys. (Actually, that company is not really a toy maker, but an importer of brightly colored plastic shapes made in China.) Anyway, this commercial appears three or four times on any given PBS Kids day, featuring a bubbly toddler and a fatuous voiceover by mom, gushing about all the things her precious is going to teach her. Arrrrrrgh.



As I was putting on my space suit to go out into the cold March, I overheard a bit of “Arthur,” and Arthur the main character happened to mention that one of his friend’s parents were divorced. This got my attention. The adult characters on PBS cartoons never do anything very adult, like getting divorced. I can’t imagine Caillou’s parents splitting up, or George Shrinks’ parents either, though the father seems like a ne’er-do-well to me. Even the parents of the girl who owns Clifford the Big Red Dog seem to stay together, though the stress of caring for a dog two stories tall would send me running for the door.



Then again, it wasn’t Arthur’s parents fighting about visitation or late child support checks, but the parents of a supporting character, the white rabbit I think. And they didn’t do any of those bitter-divorce activities, either; just the fact of the divorce was mentioned, and it had something to do with Father’s Day, but I didn’t stick around for the whole story.



“Arthur” has a curious reggae song for an intro theme. A sunshiny happy reggae song — it be no tale a-woe on da hard streets of ol’ Kingston town, mon. As I was walking to the train, I came up with some new lyrics for the “Arthur” theme:



“SAY HEY! What a wonderful kind of day! I can light up for Jah and say! I want to light another!”



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home